Arizona State University’s Chicano/Latino Faculty and Staff Association (CLFSA) selects five students for the endowed Laura Rendón Scholarship each academic year. Scholarship amounts vary between $2,500 and $5,000 depending on need.
Dr. Rendón is a nationally renowned educator, who for eight years, served as Professor in ASU’s Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. As a professor, mentor and active member of ASU’s Chicano/Latino faculty community, she taught graduate level courses on Cultural Pluralism in Education, Professional Seminar in Higher Education and Student Diversity in Higher Education. She was also a member of the Research Faculty with the ASU’s Hispanic Research Center.
Upon Dr. Rendón’s departure from ASU, and through her generosity, CLFSA endowed it’s scholarship in her name. Each year, CLFSA pays tribute to her leadership; character and academic excellence by awarding scholarships to students whose academic merit demonstrate these same virtues that will impact the Chicano/Latino community.
To be considered for the scholarship for the following academic year, the CLFSA Laura Rendón Scholarship application must be completed and submitted online by the due date listed below. Also, a completed FAFSA must be submitted by the new priority date of January 1 in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- AZ Resident
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Must be US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Preference is given to low income and first generation students
- Full-time degree seeking undergraduate at Arizona State University starting the following fall semester
The definition of a first generation student is that neither of the applicant's parents has graduated with a baccalaureate degree from a college or university.
- Scholarship is awarded for one year; scholars may apply for renewal.
- Students are able to apply for more than one of the ASU Latino Partnership Scholars awards but can only be awarded one of them; The CLFSA Laura Rendón Scholarship is among the LPS awards.
- This scholarhsip may not be combined with other ASU institutional awards.
- Selected scholars are expected to engage with CLFSA, attend networking socials, committees, and service programs, and participate in a mentor program.
Selection will be based upon the criteria outlined above, in addition to:
- Scholarship application and essay
- Academic record/transcript
- Extracurricular Experience Information
Application Period is from November 1 to February 1
Deadline: Sunday, January 31, 2021